Thanks to five different seed companies, the Plant a Row for the Hungry garden starter kits are full of potential.
We hope volunteer gardeners will use their garden kits to grow extra vegetables and herbs in their gardens to donate to a neighborhood food bank, soup kitchen or church pantry to help feed hungry families.
Thousands of seed packets were donated for the local growing-and-giving effort by the following companies:
- BBB Seed
- Botanical Interests
- Lake Valley Seed Company
- Renee’s Garden
Whole Foods donated reusable cloth bags to contain everything, a big plus this year for holding more seeds and holding up in case of inclement weather.
The kits also include:
- Samples of Happy Frog organic fertilizer from Fox Farm
- Special Plant a Row row markers
- Coupons for veggie and herb transplants from Echter’s Greenhouse and Tagawa Gardens
- Packets of all-purpose plant food from The National Home Gardening Club
- Food Bank of the Rockies brochures
- Information on how to get started
Two public kickoff events are set for Saturday, May 19, at the Denver Master Gardener’s annual Plant-a-Palooza plant sale and at the Front Range Organic Gardeners (FROG) plant sale. For more information, please join us on our PlantaRowColorado Facebook page.