Because Thanksgiving is next week, I thought this would be a good time to revisit some of my favorite holiday recipes, like this one for Stuffed Pumpkin.
Stuffed Pumpkin Ingredients
1 small-to-medium pumpkin
Worcestershire or soy sauce
Salt and pepper
2 3/4 cups quick cooking wild rice mix*
3-5 sliced scallions
3-4 sliced carrots
1 1/2 cups kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup pine nuts (or shelled, roasted pumpkin seeds)
1/3 cup shelled sunflower seeds
- Prepare wild rice according to package instructions. While it’s simmering prepare the pumpkin.
- Cut a medium-sized circle in the top of the pumpkin.
- Remove the seeds and pulp; clean thoroughly. Save seeds to roast.
- Season inside of pumpkin with Worcestershire or soy sauce.
- Let rice cool slightly and then mix together with the remaining ingredients.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff pumpkin with the rice mixture; cover tightly with the pumpkin lid.
- Set pumpkin on a baking sheet in a preheated 425-degree oven.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until the pumpkin is soft and lightly charred.
- Serve hot; remove lid and scoop out large spoonfuls of stuffing and soft pumpkin for each serving.
Serves 6 to 8, depending on the size of the pumpkin.
*I used the quick-cooking Rice Select Brand, “Royal Blend” of Texmati white, brown, wild and red rice.