If you planted garlic in your garden, you can use several heads of home-grown garlic.
If you don’t have any home-grown garlic handy, buy several large bulbs that are heavy for their size and that have no blemishes or soft spots.
Try baking garlic slowly in the oven to create an irresistible fragrance in the kitchen.
But, if you’re pressed for time, garlic can be cooked in just minutes in a microwave oven.
Baked Garlic Recipe
One or two whole garlic bulbs
Extra virgin olive oil
Dried herbs such as oregano or leaf thyme
Assorted crackers or fresh crusty bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel the loose, papery skins off the outside of the bulbs.
- Slice about 1/4-inch off the top of each clove.
- Lightly drizzle each clove with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with the herb(s) of your choice.
- Place the bulbs in a garlic baker or wrap in foil and place in a baking dish. (Do not wrap in foil if cooking in the microwave.)
- Cover the garlic baker or close the top of the foil bundle.
- Bake for about 45 minutes.
- Remove garlic baker lid or carefully open foil.
- Return to the oven for an additional 10-15 minutes until the garlic is lightly browned.
- Cool slightly before serving.
To serve, squeeze garlic from their skins and spread on bread or crackers.