Halloween is a holiday we can really sink our fangs into. Here’s a tasty home-made bread recipe to get you into the spirit.
This is an enjoyable way to bake a loaf of bread from scratch. It’s not difficult at all, it just takes a little bit of time to let the dough rise.
It’s a perfect way to spend a cold day inside and use some of your home-grown herbs to sprinkle on top.
It’s also great fun to shape the dough into something scary. Your family is sure to howl for more.
Dead Head Bread Recipe
1 and ½ cups of warm water (divided)
1 packet active dry yeast
1 tablespoon honey
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon crushed black peppercorn
4 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon dried sage
2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Dissolve yeast and honey in warm water.
2. Set aside for 10 minutes until foamy.
3. Place flour in large bowl and add yeast mixture, salt, peppercorn, and 2 tablespoons olive oil.
4. Add 1 cup warm water slowly to mix into a dough. (You may need less water to keep the dough from becoming too sticky.)
5. Place dough on a floured surface and knead until smooth (about 3-5 minutes).
6. Place dough in a clean bowl; cover with a towel and let rest in a warm place for 60 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
8. Punch dough down; remove from bowl.
9. Roll dough into a rectangle about 10 x 12” and then place on a baking sheet.
10. Form the dough into a skull shape (like a keyhole with two holes for eyes). Use a fork to add detail, if desired.
11. Let the dough rest 10 minutes.
12. Mix minced garlic with 2 tablespoons olive oil and brush on dough.
13. Sprinkle the bread with rosemary, sage, cheese, and salt (if desired).
14. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Let cool before cutting.